
For the most part, I love Christmas! I love the decorations, the smell of Christmas trees and festive music. I love how my nephews faces light up when they see wrapped goodies with their names on it. I love the smell of my mom's house when she's just baked some treats. I love the chill in the air that makes us all huddle a bit closer.
I live at the corner of Los Feliz Blvd near the entrance to Griffith Park. It must be one of the business boulevards in Los Angeles. I have learned to live with heavy traffic, planning for extra time just to exit my property. I've sort of drowned out the horn honking from pissed off motorists. I've even gotten used to the daily sirens, many responding to horrific accidents from reckless drivers speeding right there in front of my house.
What I cannot tolerate is Christmas time in this area. This is when Griffith Park displays the Festival of Lights (put on by the reliable DWP, but that's another blog) - a whole mile of them! I saw this the first year I moved here. Once was enough. While absolutely love colorful, twinkly lights, the visitors to the park have ruined it.
Imagine, it's the night before Christmas (and all through the house), I'm wrapping presents, carols playing in the background, fragrant candles burning throughout - and horn blasts of angry people out on the boulevard waiting in the long line to enter the park. They lay on them for minutes at a time, sometimes they open their windows and yell expletives to the person that got in front of them. Then there's the constant hum of engines sitting for hours on end.
This is not pleasant. This is unbearable. I contacted the local police one night last year and they came out to control traffic and adjust some attitudes. It was wonderful. But that's just one night out of 30-something that starts near Thanksgiving and runs until New Year's Eve, and runs from 5pm to 10pm... and later on the holidays! I cannot call the cops every night, so I have to hear assholes ruin my holiday. Assholes that cannot, for one minute or one hour, stay calm and wait their turn. Assholes that probably have children in their car.
And now Councilman Tom LaBonge is pushing for DWP's plan to restrict the first 5 nights to pedestrian only! Has anyone seen the parking situation in and around the park? Traffic will worsen, if that's possible, and attitudes will undoubtedly worsen with it.
I propose we terminate the Festival of Lights. It only creates frustration - for those that live near it and for those who live in it. At least do it for the children! Do they need to witness adults behaving badly??? Not really. Celebrate the holidays with joy and happiness, and STAY OUT OF MY NEIGHBORHOOD.
Warm Holiday Wishes,
Jen
LA Times Article 10-22-07
Photo taken by Geek_chic. Click on photo for more information.
I live at the corner of Los Feliz Blvd near the entrance to Griffith Park. It must be one of the business boulevards in Los Angeles. I have learned to live with heavy traffic, planning for extra time just to exit my property. I've sort of drowned out the horn honking from pissed off motorists. I've even gotten used to the daily sirens, many responding to horrific accidents from reckless drivers speeding right there in front of my house.
What I cannot tolerate is Christmas time in this area. This is when Griffith Park displays the Festival of Lights (put on by the reliable DWP, but that's another blog) - a whole mile of them! I saw this the first year I moved here. Once was enough. While absolutely love colorful, twinkly lights, the visitors to the park have ruined it.
Imagine, it's the night before Christmas (and all through the house), I'm wrapping presents, carols playing in the background, fragrant candles burning throughout - and horn blasts of angry people out on the boulevard waiting in the long line to enter the park. They lay on them for minutes at a time, sometimes they open their windows and yell expletives to the person that got in front of them. Then there's the constant hum of engines sitting for hours on end.
This is not pleasant. This is unbearable. I contacted the local police one night last year and they came out to control traffic and adjust some attitudes. It was wonderful. But that's just one night out of 30-something that starts near Thanksgiving and runs until New Year's Eve, and runs from 5pm to 10pm... and later on the holidays! I cannot call the cops every night, so I have to hear assholes ruin my holiday. Assholes that cannot, for one minute or one hour, stay calm and wait their turn. Assholes that probably have children in their car.
And now Councilman Tom LaBonge is pushing for DWP's plan to restrict the first 5 nights to pedestrian only! Has anyone seen the parking situation in and around the park? Traffic will worsen, if that's possible, and attitudes will undoubtedly worsen with it.
I propose we terminate the Festival of Lights. It only creates frustration - for those that live near it and for those who live in it. At least do it for the children! Do they need to witness adults behaving badly??? Not really. Celebrate the holidays with joy and happiness, and STAY OUT OF MY NEIGHBORHOOD.
Warm Holiday Wishes,
Jen
LA Times Article 10-22-07
Photo taken by Geek_chic. Click on photo for more information.
No comments:
Post a Comment